Melissa,

This is a problem for a conservator if you want to remove the old duct tape while preserving the paint. As in everything in conservation, "It depends". It depends on how degraded the duct tape is, it depends on what kind of paint and what solvents affect it, and it depends on the type of metal and it's condition.

There will be some losses, once a strong adhesive on a pressure-sensitive fabric tape such as duct tape is applied, peeling or lifting it off will sheer everything but the strongest paint coatings. But there are ways a conservator can deal with the problem to minimize losses.

If there is no overriding reason to mess with now I'd leave it alone until you can get an objects / metals conservator's opinion.

I know the conservators at the ECU Conservation Lab in Greenville NC and recommend them.
http://www.ecu.edu/cs-cas/history/eccl/

I also recommend you do a search on the free conservation referral service of the AIC.
http://www.conservation-us.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Page.viewPage&pageId=495&parentID=472

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey