I recently received an early computer to accession into our collection. One of the interesting things about this artifact is that it has not been removed from the original packaging. The box has been opened but the computer does not appear to have ever been taken out. The issue with this is that the original packaging is a cardboard box with the computer packed in plastic and styrofoam. I'm considering removing the computer from the box but am not sure how successful storing the cardboard box on its own would be. Any thoughts on preserving cardboard or how detrimental leaving the computer in the box would be?

Thanks!

Melissa Jolley

Curator, New South Associates Inc.