According to my fiancĂ© who is a civil war reenactor they would be called a pistol. For example colts and Remington's were called pistols.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 24, 2013, at 5:17 PM, "Bonni-Dara Michaels" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

The curator working on our Civil War exhibition has written labels in which he  calls revolvers pistols.  My understanding is that a pistol is a handgun with a chamber integral with the barrel.  Could pistol be considered common usage at the time of the Civil War and therefore the term is acceptable in the label copy?  If it is, we will have to decide whether, as a museum with responsibility to the public, we should hold to a more academic standard.

Bonni-Dara Michaels

Collections Curator

Yeshiva University Museum

tel: 212-294-8330 x 8815