Dear Colleagues,

At our upcoming Board meeting we are prepared to talk about the issue of appraisals (for insurance purposes) of our historical collection [also including site-specific archaeology and paleontology collections].  Our CMP stipulates an update every 10 years and in the past that occurred through the auspices of an auction house.  Unfortunately the appraisal was by no means comprehensive and only included select portions of our decorative arts collection.

In an effort to get a better handle on our collection as a whole, we’d like to recommend to our committee how we can best proceed.  My question to other history collections out there is this:  how do you complete comprehensive appraisals of your history collections?  Hired appraisers at specific intervals?  In-house valuations with special objects addressed by hired appraisers as needed?  In-house estimates only?  And how often do you update?

I would appreciate any/all comments as we try to gauge the history museum field standard (if there is one).  Please feel free to contact me off-list if more appropriate – [log in to unmask].

Many thanks for your help and best regards,

Gretchen

Gretchen Goodell Pendleton

Curator

Stratford Hall