Thank you Martha. Most of the items listed are easy to decipher, it's how
the books are organized that I'm not familiar with.  For example in Mr.
Brown's book:

'To Mr. Caleb Smith..cod hooks.............3lb, 5p, 3s

                                .....4 gal New England Rum.....5lb, 4p, --

                                .....wharfage, Schooner Bright ..2lb

I comprehend the pounds and shillings, wharfage and cod hooks, but does the
entry mean that the book's owner paid Mr. Smith for such goods or that Mr.
Smith is buying these items. And when they're listed that way, is it safe to
assume they're purchased on credit? Would cash receipts be listed
differently?

And does "contra" in a book mean money one owes? Or is it owed to the book
owner?

Another example, which I suspect I already know: If a listing has an "X"
through it, does that mean an debt or receivable has been settled?

Several folks have given me good leads and I thank everyone.