From: Scott Peters <[log in to unmask]>
To: MUSEUM-L <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sat, Apr 6, 2013 7:47 pm
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Gift shops and libraries -- small museums and historical societies

On 4/6/2013 11:45 AM, Holly Wilhelm      wrote:

I am back after            an extended hiatus; please excuse if this has been discussed            recently!

I am the sole employee at a combined local history museum          & historical society. Our collections, archives, and          unused board room are on the second floor.  Only the first          floor is public.  There are three galleries (one a permanent          exhibit, two changing), a research library, a sizable main          hall, a back cubby (currently my office), and a back office          (which is rented out to another organization).  There is some          discussion about where the book shop should be located.  It is          a large bookcase with the books displayed on it.  Some board          members would like it in the main hallway, others want it to          be in the library/research room.

I would be interested in hearing from other small          museum/historical societies (with comparably limited staff and          space) as to their suggestions, along with pros and cons for          haveing the book shop 1) in the hallway; or 2) in the          library/research room.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments!

Holly W.. Hodges

Virginia

    The county historical society for which I worked many years ago had    the gift shop/book shop located in the entry area to the museum,    across from the front desk. The museum was in an 1860s home that was    added on to to make an exhibit/reception area. that was connected to    the added on library research area via an entry foyer. The book    shop/gift shop area was right as you walk into the museum, and right    where you had to walk out.
    There was a small book sale nook right as you walked into the    library from which donated/non-collection books were sold for    fund-raising.
    The big con against the book shop being in the library is the    obvious possibility of collection books going out through the book    shop. If the book shop only sold new items that were obviously    different than anything that might be in the collection that would    be one thing, But you would still need well trained staff who know    the inventory and can tell the difference. That's why I would be    concerned about a book shop being in the library itself when there's    a better alternative.
    I think the other key is visibility: gift shops are always at the    entrance or exit for a reason.
    And if there's only one person, then the location should be where    that person can easily take care of the shop and watch it as much as    possible.

    Just my two cents.

    Scott Peters

--
Jersely Speaking,
Minister of trivia, errata and miscellany

"The ordinary distinctions in society are often vague, and imply no just pre-eminence: rank and titles are adventitious things and instead of designating merit or virtue, are frequently the baubles of imbecility, or the sparkling decorations of meretricious pageantry"
William Griffith, 1803