Did you try a web search using these terms? Several hits might be leads for you
     inspirations pre columbian birth figure

Best wishes, Barbara, retired librarian

-----Original Message-----
From: Doutriaux, Miriam <[log in to unmask]>
To: MUSEUM-L <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed, Apr 3, 2013 11:53 am
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Birthing Figure question

Dear Colleagues,

I wonder if any of you know of objects that resemble or might have been inspired by an Aztec-style birthing figure in our collection:http://museum.doaks.org/Obj23088?sid=243&x=2599.

I am curating  a small exhibition on this unique sculpture, and finding that it appears not only in the work of Diego Rivera and Man Ray, but also in numerous other forms (including online repros too numerous to count!). The figure was also, of course, the inspiration for the golden idol in the Indiana Jones movie Raiders of the Lost Ark. As I complete work on this exhibition, I’d like to make sure that I have not missed any other important connections!

Thank you in advance,
Miriam Doutriaux
Pre-Columbian Collection
Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection
1703 32nd Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20007
(202) 339-6979