To come from the other side of the discussion, I worked as a contractor for a curator at one of the Smithsonians for about a year. Here is how it works from my observations: a contractor is not an employee (already said plenty of times). On some contracts I worked 40 hours a week, and on others only 20 per week. It depends on the contract. Giving a contractor parameters within which to work- only doing work at the museum, working during set hours (museum open hours), etc does not muddy the waters on what a contractor is and is there to do.

I was contracted to complete particular projects for the curator. Some were research and some were administrative/programmatic. I know other contractors who were hired for very long periods- some contracts can be multi-year if they have that funding- to play a particular part in a long-term project (digitizing collections, recataloging, new exhibits and educational program creation). It was always clear that I was a contractor, not a staff person- at the SI the badge colors are even different. I was paid when I invoiced and had set deliverables on a set schedule.

The discussion about full-time versus part-time on this thread does not make sense to me. If my contract timeline and deliverables required me to work 40 hours a week to complete on time, then I did. If it only required 20 hours of work a week to complete on schedule then I did that. As the contractor, it is my responsibility to keep my hours straight to keep on the contracted timeline- not yours as the employer. Once you've contracted someone to do a job, you pay them for their deliverables- ie the completion of the project or at certain points during the project (every two weeks until the contracted job is complete). Some in the education department were ongoing contractors working on multiple projects doing audio/visual or something that there wasn't a staffer able/available to do. They were paid "regularly"- through invoices- and had "regular" 40 working hours per week, but they were contractors not staff.

I realize at a smaller place it's usually less rigid, but keeping the rigidity in place keeps the administrators happy and everything legal.

I hope this helps. Hiring a contractor shouldn't be the key to getting a full-time bookkeeper but if you need extra staff to change exhibits, work on public programs, or assist curators with research I think those good examples ripe for contract work.