Fellow members of AAMG,

This question has probably been discussed before and I either missed it or it didn't have meaning for me at the time.

I'll ask the same question two different ways:

1.      How does your museum track the benefit of your museum to your mother institution?

2.      How does your museum ascertain what demonstrates its value to your mother institution?

My Dean has asked me to come up with ways to assess how all of the school groups that visit our museum benefit the college?  Most of these groups are pre-school through 5th grade.

How do our Saturday morning and afternoon special programs for kids in grades 3 to 5 and 6 to 8, or our scout group programs benefit the college?

If my answer to him is, "in several years they represent potential students", he said that's a given.  He wants more than that, but doesn't have any suggestions as to what that might look like.

Thus, I turn to this huge brain trust - AAMG - to see if anyone else has encountered this and how did you resolve it.  Or, if you haven't faced this question, how would you answer the question?

Ken Mark
Director, Oakes Museum of Natural History
Messiah College