If you're going to the Tenement Museum and want to have the best smoked
salmon and cream cheese on a bagel in your life, then do not miss Russ &
Daughters a few blocks from the Museum on Houston Street.  If I had to
choose between going here or Katz's, I would go here instead.  Although
Katz's is iconic and very good, depending on the time of day you could be
waiting forever for their beloved pastrami.  If you have a sweet tooth and
want to stay in that area of the Lower East Side, I'd recommend Doughnut
Plant or Il Laboratorio del Gelato.  Doughnut Plant has crazy flavored
doughtnuts like peanut butter & jelly, or tres leches.  Il Laboratorio del
Gelato, right across the street from Katz's, features crazy flavors of
gelato, like avocado and pink peppercorn.

Museum-wise, if you want to stay in that part of Manhattan, I would
recommend going to the Merchant's House Museum on 4th and Lafayette because
it's a nice contrast to the Tenement Museum, and because I recently
finished up a project there returning the home's interior to its 1850s
paint scheme.  Again, staying in that area, head west on 4th Street and
check out Washington Square park.  Depending on the time of year and the
weather there are usually NYU students hanging around listening to outdoor
musicians or families watching street performers.

Being a Manhattan resident, I steer clear of Times Square because it's
sensory overload and often crowded.  If you think you'll only be in NYC
once, then definitely go, but I'd recommend a ferry ride across the East
River to Brooklyn Bridge Park, or walking across the Brooklyn Bridge itself
instead.  You'll get the best views of Manhattan from here, and the quaint
brownstones of Brooklyn Heights are just a stone's throw away.  For me,
that's New York.

Other things worth noting: Grand Central--aside from the rushing crowds,
there's an awesome secret bar called The Campbell Apartment that has lots
of wood paneling and retro cocktails; New York Public Library's Schwarzman
Building and it's famous reading room; Rockefeller Center--where ice
skating happens and good views of Midtown from the Top of the Rock; Empire
State Building--good views of the city and a great brewpub called Heartland
Brewery.  Also, the subway system isn't that daunting and is much cheaper
than taking a cab everywhere.  Unless you're in a rush, take the subway.
In addition, many restaurants offer brunch on Saturday and Sunday that
feature an "unlimited" option where you pay a set price and you can have
unlimited bloody marys or mimosas while you're there.  I remember you
saying there was a bachelorette component to your trip, so that could be an
option.

That should give you enough to chew on.

Brian Horne