Museum Support Center
National Museum of Natural History
Washington, D.C.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Jennifer Sparks <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Greetings Alexandra,

I would not have any issue with seeing "Under the supervision of Jane Smith, I did x, y, and z.." in a cover letter.  If used appropriately and sparingly (no more than once in the letter), it would be useful to me and would help you stand out against multiple applications.  It shows me that you are familiar with our organization and the people in it, and that you are confident that my colleague is going to say positive things about you and your work.

Best of luck in the job hunt,

Jennifer Bergantz

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that don't mind matter and those that mind don't matter"  - Dr. Seuss

P Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

From: Alexandra Balcazar <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:01 AM
Subject: Name dropping on applications

Hello all,

I am a recent museum studies graduate making applications for jobs in museums. I am applying for posts at museums where I have previously interned. In this case, is it appropriate to mention the names of curators and supervisors to whom I reported as an intern? The curators are still employed by the museum and the context for mentioning them would be in the personal statement portion of the application. For example : "Under the supervision of Jane Smith, I did x,y,z..."

Many thanks for any advice you could give!

Best,
Alexandra