Sarah,
Slippery slope indeed!
I have completed many contracts working with collections teams on inventory projects and I have never had a contract based on the amount of items inventoried per hour/day. All of my contracts were based on specific collections. I was to complete "Collection X" by such and such a date. I feel this worked well as there is a learning curve like with any job when you first begin. I have worked on collections that If you went by the first week of employment my achievements would be grounds for dismissal by the second week I am on track and even ahead of the game.
 Not to mention that some days you can be on top of your game and others you may not.
I feel the whomever you hire will average out and you will be able to see a clear pattern.

Have you had the chance to do a dry run?
You can do a dry run and inform your staff of the minimum amount of items per week in order to reach your goals.
By the hour seems a bit too much like an assembly line to me.

You also have to consider the nature of the inventory and best handling practice.  Is it worth more to have things handled properly or the number at the end of the day?

These are just my comments.

Monique
McFarlane