All,

I have created an exhibit about the stories behind mixed-martial arts fighter’s tattoos, together with photographer Angela Baldridge.  The exhibit features beautiful photos with audio narratives from interviews with fighters that tell the very poignant stories behind their tattoos.  Many of the stories are unexpected and deeply personal.  We brought a group of at-risk youth to the Morlan Gallery here in Lexington, KY to meet some of the fighters and hear their life stories—most of which mirrored the struggles many of the visiting students have faced.

We are in the process of submitting a Museums for America grant, in which the exhibit would travel to various cities, and fighters would visit the gallery to talk to at-risk youth groups from local community organizations and schools.  There would be no cost to the gallery for hosting this exhibit if we receive our grant!   Our goal is to help facilitate museums and galleries as community anchors.

We are seeking commitments or strong interest from galleries/museums to host this exhibit anytime between October 2014 and October 2016 and would love to hear from you if this sounds like something that would fulfill your institution’s mission.  In order to learn more about the exhibit and see some of the images:

Ink in the Cage: The Stories Behind MMA Fighter Tattoos is a travelling exhibition that just may interest you.

Cage fighting...in a gallery? How tasteless.

But maybe there is more here than meets the eye? That is what I am asking you today…let it meet your eye. I welcome you to think about Mixed Martial Arts in a new way and in particular, the athletes who participate in MMA,  America’s fastest growing sport.

ENTER THE CAGE.

Thanks in advance for allowing me to share this.

Best,

Barbara LoMonaco, Ph.D.

VP for Student Affairs and Dean of Students

Professor of Anthropology

Transylvania University

Lexington, KY 40508-1797