Hi, Elizabeth,

"mixed media" describes nothing specific, because one mixed media is not the same like another mixed media. Therefore I would not use it in museum documentation at all. It was invented by lazy art historians, probably long before computers were used for documentation. :-)

Let's imagine one of the media is canvas. If you search your database for canvas, you would not get a hit having used "mixed media". Some people might think, okay, let's have a another try with "mixed media" (if they remember what they or others have done years ago...). The result would be: Yes we have 200 objects classified by "mixed media", but for answering the question regarding canvas, you have to check all in the depository :-)

The solution for more simple programs would be to mention all "media" in a freetext field and make usage of fulltext retrieval. But this technique reminds me more of the Word (RTM) search function and not of a modern database. Institutions will many objects using this technique will realize that fulltext retrieval over 800,000 objects will take some time.

For quick 100% results you have to mention all media by exactly indexed terms. Some programs offer the chance for the user to produce additional (index) fields by the user, say material 1, material 2 etc. This would be a good solution. Retrieval covers in this case all "material" fields.

If your program does not offer a field long enough, ask the programmer to enlarge it. This is a matter of seconds. Some programs give at least admins the right to do so.

More important is that all media/material terms are indexed and/or links to a  thesaurus. I always had a good feeling working with fields with drop down menues, offering indexed terms in alphabetical order one could select from. The index was automatically built by the thesaurus. Clicking three indexed terms from the menue resulted in an additive input generating a solution to your question in a sophisticated manner.

Generally: Each programm is as good as its results. And its users.

Christian
Art historian and publisher