My publisher friend, Nathan Moehlmann, offered the following:

"For a 200-copy run of a color book, the book will need to be printed digitally. Otherwise, you go far into the red. Rule of thumb is a minimum of 1,000 copies for offset. She could request a notched binding, which isn't but a touch more expensive than perfect bound, but will keep the cover on a little better. Your friend will want a paper in the 100# range.

I would have her contact Thomson-Shore, in Michigan (Maria Smith: [log in to unmask], 734.426.1722).

I would also have her contact Friesens, just over the border in Canada (Tom Kolenich: [log in to unmask], 804.740.0031). Friesens specializes in art books, and I believe they're printing digitally, too.

A few years ago, I printed a digital catalog, _Contemporary Pottery from North Carolina's American Indian Communities_ (North Carolina Pottery Center) with Yurchak Printing, in PA (David Zellner: [log in to unmask], 717.989.8735)."

Hope this helps!
MBJ

Martha Battle Jackson, Curator

North Carolina Division of State Historic Sites and Properties
Mailing Address: 4620 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC  27699-4620
Street Address:  430 North Salisbury Street, Suite 1115, Raleigh, NC  27604
919/733-7862; ext. 236; FAX: 919/733-9515

E-mail correspondence to and from this sender may be subject to the
North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
The views expressed by the sender may not reflect those of my agency.