Yes, and then, if you are using Past Perfect, or a similar database, you can establish a relationship in the database so you 'relate' every item in the set to each other.

--- On Sun, 10/7/12, Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Whole or Parts number?
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sunday, October 7, 2012, 12:07 PM

I usually have another level of number for sets, year.accession.#.#A With large sets there may be several things that need components while being part of a set, dishes in particular come to mind, and in the database you want them to be recorded as a set. Clothing is similar as outfits can include shoes, gloves, jewelry... Tea sets will have coffee and tea pots with lids, sugar bowls and lids,  If the whole set is .2 then the teapot for instance would be 2.1A and the lid 2.1B sugar bowl would be 2.2A and 2.2B.  Plates, cups, etc would then become 2.3, 2.4, 2.5.....