Dear Museum List Servers-

In our 1890s log cabin we have large rag rugs that are going to be taken apart by a dedicated group of volunteers. The rags are going to be reused into fresh rugs made on a loom. We would like to clean them first. A few suggested options are to vacuum them, beat them with a rug beater, or launder the individual rags using lingerie bags. The rugs are fairly large and I would like to keep the labor down to a minimum for our volunteers graciously using their time to help. I am attaching a few photos of the rugs to give an idea of what we are dealing with.

Any thoughts or first hand experiences would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

--

Jenny Mack

Exhibits Manager