Donna,

I do not think you are making a mountain out of mole hill.  An institution where I previously worked did this very thing in the early 1980s.  They solicited the community for donations and then sold them at an auction/yard sale.  Thirty plus years later they are still dealing with community members who very publicly insist that museum collections items were sold off at this event (none were) and the Historical Society should not given any more donations.  The event did raise some money - it was by no means a huge success - but the bad PR I think has far outweighed any monetary gain.

Your suggestion of having a separate group hold the sale and then donate the proceeds to your institution seems like a safer arrangement but I think your board would have to be fairly hands off in the organization of the event to avoid any negative repercussions.

The way you are describing the approach your institution is taking seems like an enormous amount of work as well.  To first consider each item for your collection and then to spend the time trying to find another possible museum to accept the item before considering it for the garage sale, is going to take a lot of man hours.

Good luck!

Julie