It depends upon how much more space you need, but compact shelving increases space dramatically. So depending on the situation, that might help.

From: Museum discussion list [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Brandy Tunmire [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 12:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Storage expansion ideas

Hello Listservers,

We are considering ways to increase space at our storage facility and compiling a list of options (and their associated pros & cons). So far, our list includes:

  • Building a new, larger building;
  • Renovating & expanding the existing structure;
  • Building a mezzanine level to better utilize vertical space;
  • Building a separate-but-nearby annex.

We have left out the pros & cons of each; we are aware of the many things to consider in stabilizing/moving/protecting the collection once we decide on the best route--what we would really like to know from you all is:

  • If you ever had to create more storage space for your collections, how did you do it?
  • Thoughts and opinions about changes that do not involve building, such as compact shelving, etc. (lest deaccessioning/refining the collection—we are working on this).
  • Are there any building options we have not included on our list?
  • If you built a new building, how did you do it? For example, one thing we have discussed is building a shell over our existing building, and then tearing down the old walls once it is completed. Has anyone done anything like that? How did it work out?
  • If you built a new building, what amenities did you request that improved storage space efficiency?

Any comments along those lines would be greatly appreciated. We are just weighing out our choices and would love to hear some ideas from anyone who has experience in this matter. Off-list messages can be sent to [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask].

Thanks in advance!

 --
Brandy Tunmire, Assistant Curator
American Archaeology Division