Hi Everyone,

The iDigBio Augmenting Optical Character Recognition Workshop is almost here! Monday and Tuesday October 1 - 2, 9 am - 5 pm

Instructions for Remote Participation
2-Day Agenda: http://tinyurl.com/AOCRTwoDayAgenda
Conceptual Agenda: http://tinyurl.com/AOCRAgendaOverview
iDigBio Augmenting OCR Workshop Wiki Page

Presentations from 9 - 12 noon on Day 1 include our guest speaker from Germany, Karl-Heinz Steinke who is from Hochshule Hannover and is representing the Herbar Digital project. Karl-Heinz has been working with Walter Berendsohn at the BGBM in Berlin studying ways to speed up herbarium digitization including improving OCR handwriting analysis. See: http://www.tdwg.org/proceedings/article/view/298 for an overview

After Karl-Heinz, each of our invited guests and working group members will each present an overview of their digitization efforts and challenges and how OCR and OCR output is used in each project.

One of our presentations (remote from Scotland) will be from Elspeth Haston, Deputy Herbarium Curator, Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh along with her colleagues Rob Cubey, Plant Records Officer and Robyn Drinkwater, OpenUp project officer. Elspeth is a member of iDigBio working group and will be presenting their work remotely using Adobe Connect.

In addition, we'll be seeing the work of the Essig Museum - Peter Oboyski, the SALIX project - Darryl Lafferty, the Apiary Project - Jason Best, the HERBIS/LABELX Project - Bryan Heidorn, Symbiota and the LBCC and SCAN TCNs - Edward Gilbert, and Stephen Gottschalk and Kimberly Watson presenting their latest projects from the NYBG. All of them are using OCR in some way in their digitization workflows.

On behalf of the iDigBio AOCR Working Group and all of us at iDigBio - Hope to see you there!

Deb
PS: For those of you new to Adobe Connect, please go to
Instructions for Remote Participation and be sure to log in to Adobe Connect 20 minutes before the session of interest so that you have time to figure out the software before the meeting begins. For more help see: https://www.idigbio.org/wiki/index.php/Web_Conferencing
HINTS: Use Headphones, Mute your Microphone, Firefox
(usually) works better than Chrome with Adobe Connect.
*Please excuse cross-postings for those of you that belong to multiple lists.
--
Deborah Paul
User Services, iDigBio