What about an analog version of your touchscreen idea?  I'm envisioning podium-style signs with line drawings of the walls they are in front of.  The labels would be inside the outlines of the works.  This arrangement is commonly used for labeling people in group photos, and I think it would work great for a salon-style exhibition.

--Jake Hildebrandt