Lynn, Sara,

This really is not my area of specialization, so that is my disclaimer.  Museum Gel, according to QuakeHold, the company that distributes it, is the same formulation now as it was when it was first made.  The representative I talked with indicated that heat is the best method of trying to remove it.  If the surface is absorbent, some discoloration may remain.  Their own info sheet says that mineral spirits or perhaps detergent in water can remove the discoloration, so I would imagine these may also remove residues, but I have no experience here.  My conservation sense says that acetone must be able to remove residue, but you have to be careful of the surfaces, as acetone will remove most coatings and paints, as well as other surface information that may be of interest.  On most stone or glass, acetone probably is safe for the substrate itself, but as with anything, please do a test first.

They have promised to email me a MSDS, which may contain useful info about the nature of the product and its solubility.  In addition, I have a PDF copy of their instructional brochure.  I can not attach these to a MuseumL post, but their web site is www.quakehold.com.  If you can not find the information on their web site, email me OFF-list, and I will send you copies.

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Environmental Monitoring & Low-Tech Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors
     Decorative Objects & Folk Art

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Objects Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)