From: Starlyn D'Angelo <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Saturday, September 8, 2012 10:46 AM
To: Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Paranormal investigations

This sounds like an interesting course.  I won't be able to participate but wanted to point out a couple things.  I work at a Shaker Historic Site in Albany (the first Shaker settlement).  Shakers believed that they could communicate with the spirit world, so we felt that offering paranormal related programming would support our mission to cultivate an interest in Shaker history.  So, my first point is that it is very important to consider carefully how these programs support an institution's mission before initiating such programming.

Second:  We found that after hosting a few paranormal photography programs (open to the public) and allowing a paranormal investigator to use the site, we gained a reputation for being a productive location for documenting paranormal activity.  As a result, we experienced several incidents in which buildings were broken into.  These buildings are empty and no copper or other materials were removed.  The police agreed that it was very likely that "ghost hunters" were breaking into the buildings since there was no other motivation for the break ins.  We decided to discontinue our paranormal programs and have not had a break in since.

Third:  We found that the audience for our paranormal programs needed of a great deal of care and attention.  There was a lot of fighting over techniques, what was authentic paranormal activity etc.  I literally had to stand in between two program participants like a kindergarten teacher to keep them from fighting.  This was true during all of the paranormal programs we offered not just one or two of them.

I am NOT saying that all participants in these types of programs will behave this way or that all sites will have break ins but I did want to share these experiences.  It sounds like David's course would be helpful to prevent some of these kinds of problems.  However, that brings me back to mission and that is a matter that every museum/historic site should think about carefully.

Starlyn D'Angelo,
Executive Director
Shaker Heritage Society
www.shakerheritage.org