Stephen,

I consider all television entertainment. TV shows are produced for drama to garner ratings. The course will not deal with that.

However - many museums and historic sites are approached by paranormal groups for investigations and many accept them as well as some having their own programs for the public. The public has a deep interest in ghosts and the paranormal, especially every October, and this can be significant source of revenue for many institutions.

I see no problem with this as long as the history of the site is portrayed with facts and is separate from Folklore and from what I call The History of Belief. Those are valid areas for both scholarship as well as popular programs. And yes, Belief encompasses Spirituality as well as Religion - and your "magical thinking".

I always strongly tell folks in the paranormal groups that what they do is not science, it make involve some technical instruments but it is much more a pursuit closer to journalism or anthropology in the sense that they correlate experiences to the readings and audio and video they collect. Again - it is not our place to characterize people's personal experiences - but we have to recognize that what we offer to visitors are personal experiences that are deeply shaped by their beliefs. History as well as art do the same thing. And art is not science either, unless you get into my side of it in conservation.

I just happen to think that there is a big wide world out there and that if people want to express their deep interest in history with the unexplained then that is not all together a bad thing. And if if brings interest, support, and income into a museum and historic site that that is also a good thing.

It has to be done responsibly, as any activity at a museum or historic site should. And that is what the course is about.

This is not for every institution, but there are many that are approached and consider it as something that they may want to pursue but want to learn more before they do.

I also see this as an opportunity to educate these paranormal groups about museums and historic sites. To raise their awareness for history that is well researched and in having awareness and respect for our institutions.

I don't judge museums or other groups by how they are represented on TV, and I think we should give other groups a chance to show us that they act responsibly.

After all, many museums and historic sites have everything from weddings to parties to concerts on their premises - and those aren't intellectual, academic, or scientific either.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator & Museum Consultant