Dear Colleagues,

I'm interested in fees charged for loaning collections items to other institutions. Here are some of my questions:

How common is this practice? If your institution has a loan fee policy, do you have a standard fee, or do you assess it on a case-by-case basis? If you have a standard fee, what is it? Do you ever waive the fee? Conversely, does your institution charge a fee only in certain circumstances, and if so, what are those circumstances?

Thank you for any information or insight you can provide.

Juliet Burba, Ph.D., Curator
The Bakken Museum
3537 Zenith Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55416