Hi Melanie,

As I've noticed from the other responses, it is not a cut and dry decision. While employers look for that MA as a prerequisite, I would argue that this trend is changing. In my opinion, you can learn just as much, if not more working and learning on the go, than sitting in a classroom. Admittedly, you will not get the face to face learning experience with professors, create a networking with your classmates, but through forums like Museum-L, conferences like AAM, AMM, and the like, and the countless books, blogs, etc, would you not get the same, maybe even more information or experience than a degree and spend less?

As I've transitioned from a curator to a director, I've found that I've had to learn much of what is required of a director "on the fly", through books, discussions, blogs, etc.  That is what's so great about the museum field, everyone is willing and able to help each other. It is what makes the craft so unique and rewarding.

Good luck!

Mike Reuter
Executive Director
Rock County Historical Society