Melanie,

Is there a reason why you wouldn't be able to work full time while attending classes? I am currently enrolled in NYU's Museum Studies MA program, and I am interning part time, working nights and weekends, and attending classes. Other classmates are in a similar situation as well, or are working full time. From my understanding, many programs are designed to accommodate working professionals.

But as others have said, I do not think it is worthwhile to get a Certificate and then get a full MA later on. Might as well go for the MA right away, especially since you've already been admitted to the program. Plus, the whole reason why I chose to get a MA, at least, is because it seems to me that more and more places are looking for Master's degrees + experience in most job postings.