Kendra,

I know there is/was a functional smithy at the South County Museum in RI,
although I'm not sure who there to be in touch with. They have fairly
regular demonstrations or at least used to, so I imagine they have a pretty
good idea of what to do/not do

Emily Bibb
Collections Manager, Paul R. Jones Collection of American Art
The University of Alabama