I have a question for Katherine and any others who have done exterior yarnbomb projects.

What happens after the project’s launch?  Did the yarnbombers remove the work after a time? Did it get really ratty in changeable weather?

I have to confess I am sticking a giant crowbar in my head to keep an open mind about this. All of the projects mentioned in this thread were with the cooperation and agreement of the location, but I can’t help thinking that yarnbombing , as Deb wrote, is “ traditionally done without the knowledge of the bombee and are hit and run type activities.”

I don’t understand why so many see this as a positive thing. Yes, it can be beautiful, pretty, amazing; and I have admiration for the fiber artists skills.  But I don’t understand what makes it different from tagging or graffiti with paint.  Both seem disrespectful to me.

Again – this may be off-topic since you’re really discussing consensual art. But does it encourage the hit and run aspect?

Cindy Boyer

Director of Public Programs

The Landmark Society of Western New York

133 S. Fitzhugh St.

Rochester NY  14608

(585) 546-7029 ext. 12

Fax:  (585) 546-4788

The Landmark Society:  Celebrating 75 years as one of America's oldest and most active preservation organizations!

www.landmarksociety.org

Facebook