Terri - what if you said that you would prefer any further directives to be
in writing? You could make up some sort of excuse.

Candace Perry

  _____

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Terri
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Inter-personnel Dynamic is affecting my facility

All,

Thank you for all your thoughts and suggestions; they are GREATLY
appreciated!

One thing I failed to mention was that I took over as Director in late 2010
and this behavioral dynamic has been occurring more frequently/strongly as
time passes.  Despite numerous attempts to discuss these issues with my
supervisor, I cannot seem to effectively explain the affect their behavior
towards me is having on my staff's morale - and I have long ago lost any
ground/esteem with my Foundation I once had (and whose activities I am
supposed to oversee!).  It seems to me that my supervisor is trying to make
decisions though I still retain responsibility on paper.

Previous attempts have included training sessions (in the hope they would
impart their wisdom in a mentor-mentee setting), one-on-one Q & A sessions
which revolved around each position's duties and responsibilities, and once,
our head guy was brought in to mediate - all of these events ended with this
person agreeing, but not following through!  I suppose what I am looking for
is perhaps a few other ways to broach this without resorting to a
confrontation - our regulations, responsibilities, & duties at the federal
level are pretty set and I am worried this person will further violate them
through their decisions.  Which, as they are my supervisor, I have to follow
but those decisions are not always in keeping with our regulations and since
it is MY responsibility, it will fall back on me (and yes, I have expressed
this concern to them).  I have been keeping records of these occurrences
(thank you for reminding me Joanne!) as they occur in writing, but this
person always gives me directives over the phone or in person, eliminating
most of my ability to paper trail.

I KNOW there's got to be other non-confrontational ways to make this 'click
and stick' - I just haven't found it yet.

Thoughts?

Terri Bedore

Director, USAF Security Forces Museum