Hi, everyone,

I agree with Karl and Melissa with regard to larger collections (500 objects maximum). Nevertheless in the museum (and library) world there is still a strong emotional binding towards cards - some also went that far to say that the card system is the one and only scientific approach. :-)

Nevertheless, catalogue cards as research tool are obsolete since about two decennia (at least because cards allow - even with the cross-references system - only a very limited access to your data, but there are many other reasons), but every "digital documentarist" should keep somewhere a paper copy in a fire-safe area, saving with a duplicate any (!) change of data. Not all museum documentation systems store the history of changes with ref. to the respective professional (I saw also museums, by the way, where alll users used the same password!), the simplier programs just delete and overwrite the old entries...

According to my personal experience, for paper copies there are no standards. Each museum has its own rules - if paper copies of documentation are to be stored or not and if, what is allowed and what is forbidden. F.e., some keep only a copy of the last change, some all changes. This is also a matter of "rights" (who has access to the paper copies?).

But in contrary to the documentation process where you can (and should!) change data including inventory numbers, museum accession data are very often kept in real books ("journals") because the accession data are a matter a legal concern and - as a document - not to be changed. Some software programs offer for this process also digital storage (No changes possible after saving to disk) but the printed result is only a piece of paper, not a book with numbered pages. And this makes quite a difference.

Some museums have transformed their analog card information into stored picture files because they contain text information which could not be digitized (old handwritten entries, f.e.).
In other cases the old card system is kept because the content was not digitized in full. I have seen some fully digitized and documented museums (yes, there are some...) which store their cards still properly just "in case of".

Taken all stages of accession and documentation into account, I do not see the paperfree office for museums. The "paperfree office" is probably nothing but a marketing gag of the computer industry.

Best

Christian