More of a question for librarians, but subscribers to this list seem to know lots of oddities.

Does anyone know if there is an inventory of Edward Gibbon's library?  Upon his death in 1794, it was sold at auction to William Beckford.

One of our site managers recently discovered a volume of A History of the Court of the King of China, written by Seigneur (Lord) Michel Baudier, hidden in a cabinet and has no idea where it came from.  On the flyleaf there is a notation in pencil, "These volumes originaly [sic] Belonged to Gibbon The Historian".  We're trying to figure out if it could be true.

Thanks!
MBJ

Martha Battle Jackson, Curator
Division of State Historic Sites and Properties
4620 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC  27699-4620
919-733-7862 ext 236; fax 919-733-9515

E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to
North Carolina Public Records Law "NCGS.Ch.132" and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized state official.
The views expressed by the sender may not reflect those of my agency.
 "The future, though imminent, is obscure."  ~~Winston Churchill