I have a question.  How many of you send out Deed of Gifts to donors?  I
just received my fourth letter in 2 years from a donor, absolutely offended
for having received a Deed of Gift, told me how everyone else just said
thank you, did not expect him to sign anything.  Was offended that we asked
him to sign it and told me that he would no longer be sending me anything
from this point forward.  Is this common?  I have re-written our thank you
letters 3 times trying to tweak the wording so that donors know we are not
"laying intellectual claim" to their work, we just don't want them asking
for the book, document, etc., back after however many years when they
decided they want it back.  Are we doing something wrong?

Thank you for any comments,

Kimberly R. Brown
Director of Special Collections and Archives
Historical Society of Berks County