From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kathy DiPhilippo
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Policies for sick patrons

Dear fellow listers,

I'm wondering if any of you have had encounters with sick people visiting your museum, and if you have a formal policy dealing with this that you would be willing to share?  We recently had a quite visibly sick person visit our museum, who stayed for about 45 minutes while coughing, hacking, clearing sinuses, blowing the nose repeatedly, etc., which made everyone in the building quite uncomfortable. We have no written policy to deal with this, so she was not asked to leave, especially since we suspected from the way she was talking to her family (who left and waited outside for her) that she would not have left without making a scene and demanding to see our policy.

If you have a similar policy dealing with patrons who appear to be under the influence, we'd love to see that, too.

Many thanks!
Kathy

Kathryn DiPhilippo, director
South Portland Historical Society