Mike,

As curator of a small historical society, owner of an 1845 historic home and
underground railroad cabin, I, too, came across many photos and negatives of
restoration over the years-beginning in the late 1970s, through the 1980s
and early 1990s; the restoration of one of the rooms in the house, from
2008-2011 (during my tenure), was documented for grant reporting and future
reference.  The old photos and negatives were not accessioned as part of the
collection, but they were treated as items that required preservation.  The
photos were organized in date order and placed in sleeves, as were the
negatives (many of these negatives were in a jumbled mess interspersed with
the jumbled photos).  These sleeves were then placed in a 3-ring binder and
kept in the office area of the historical society as research material.  The
early photos were invaluable to learning what the rooms looked like before
the work took place, and during the restoration.  The cabin had been moved
from 2 other locations (the first was its original site, and second, a
park), and photographs were taken as it was being rebuilt on the historical
society grounds in 1990.  Just like the photos helped me understand what
happened when , future generations of employees can benefit from this
organized information.

Best of luck to you!

Alison