I work in the archive on the campus of the University of Houston.  We use a regular flatbed scanner for most or our jobs, however we don't house many Civil War collections.  Most of our collections are 20th century.  Doing it once will not severely damage it.  There are other scanners that might work better, but getting one or using one may cost money.  You might also try a book scanner that does not use a light bar.  Most archives will let you take photos of certain documents without flashes, so that is also an option.  So I would see no problem using something like that.

I would wear cotton or nitrile (powder free) gloves when handling the papers though.

Someone who is a document/paper conservator might have more input.  In my experience any light is damaging to paper.  The less scanning or exposure to light the better, but if it means that you have a digital copy for the rest of your life then it might be worth it before the letters degrade on their own.

Matt Campbell