My instinct on this is that jealous 2nd or 3rd wives have rubbed out the faces.  Looking at my own family tree from the 1850s & 60s, there have been multiple wives due to death from illness and childbirth.  I imagine a young new wife not wanting to destroy the likeness of her husband, but not wanting a reminder of her predecessor.

Stacey Simpson

Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 13:51:05 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] 19th c. photographs; Women with faces scratched out
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear readers,

I am researching the phenomena of 19th century photographs of women, in family portraits (large group or with a child), who have had their faces scratched out, usually  with black lines (at some later time). These mid 19th century photographs, usually ambrotypes (mid 1850s-1860s), or stereoscope views, or other family portrait photographs are a mystery!

What did these young women do to have their faces are scratched out in this way? Did they disgrace themselves regarding a religious matter?  What was their shameful behaviour?  Moreover, I have never seen a man's face scratched out.

Any assistance with reference material  or information about why this phenomena occurred would be greatly appreciated.

Judith.

Judith Parker

Curator | Conservatrice

Bytown Museum | Musée Bytown

Tel: 613.234.4570  ext | poste 228

www.bytownmuseum.ca | www.museebytown.ca

1 Canal Lane, P.O Box 523, Station B, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1P 5P6

1 ruelle Canal, C.P. 523, succursale B, Ottawa (Ontario), Canada K1P 5P6