btw - as I recall, her family that banished her keeps the child she had out of wedlock.

In many ways its a sad commentary on the lives woman had (have) to live.

dt

On 7/5/2012 12:40 PM, Janis Wilkens wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Now that’s scary!

_________________________________
Janis Wilkens
Registrar
Levine Museum of the New South

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Debra Tayes
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2012 1:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] 19th c. photographs; Women with faces scratched out

This is a wonderful movie:

The Ballad of Little Jo
is a 1993 western film inspired by the true story of a society
woman who tries to escape the stigma of bearing a child out of wedlock. She is banned
from her family, sent off into the streets with no money.  She decides to scare her face
and become a man, in order to survive.

Very interesting true story.

Debra