Hi Michael
You've probably read a tonne of books but I would strongly recommend adding another one to the mix - The First 90 Days, by Michael Watkins. It helps you map out those crucial first three months in a leadership role and is particularly geared to first-timers. Good luck!

From: Michael Reuter [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 04:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Advice for First-Time Director?

Hi all,

Do any of you out there have any advice for someone who is about to become an executive director for the first time? I’ve done as much reading and research as I can to this point, but I know that learning doesn’t all come from books. If there are any peers or colleagues of mine that have any tips or kernels of knowledge that they would like to pass on, I’m all ears.

Thanks to all who are willing and able to help!

Michael Reuter
Executive Director
Rock County Historical Society

Michael Reuter