Yes, this is the perfect use for thermal imaging.  Totally passive, and from what I understand at least as accurate as fog/smoke.  Lots of HVAC companies have this increasingly-affordable tech, so shop around.

--Jake Hildebrandt

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Cindi Verser <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

There are companies that can test for air leaks and air flow  using thermal sensing equipment.

You might want to consider  using a different contractor.

C. Verser

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dobbins, Kristine J.
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Blower Door Test

Hello,

We are in the process of evaluating our building envelope as a preliminary step in improving our HVAC system. To better understand our building’s “air leak” situation we have contracted with a company for a blower door test to assess the leakage. All our HVAC controls will be turned off during the two days of testing and the testing company would like to use a “fog” mixture to visually track air movement. Has anyone been through this process before?  I am trying to determine how much movement our collection objects might experience during the two testing days… to determine what should be covered, removed, or secured in advance of the testing….and to assess what may need to be cleaned post testing as I expect dust will be stirred up.

Additionally I have concerns about the proposed theatrical fog mixture which is 52% water, 48% Dipropylene Gylcol. While this mixture will be used sparingly I anticipate that it will drift throughout the galleries…If you have been through a blower door test what tracking agent did your organization use? Any conservators out there that would like to weigh in?

Feel free to contact me off list. I have a couple other logistical questions and would love to learn from other’s experiences and hindsight.

Many thanks,

Kristie Dobbins

Kristie Dobbins, Curator
Toy & Miniature Museum of Kansas City

museum main line: 816.235.8000    direct line: 816.235.8002
5235 Oak Street, Kansas City, Missouri 64112

www.toyandminiaturemuseum.org