From: <Cunningham>, Flo <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: "Latham, Kiersten" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: museum studies master's degree program

Hi, Katherine,

I’m writing in response to your query on the Museum-L listserv last week.

The School of Library and Information Science at Kent State University offers a unique approach to the field of museum studies. Ours is the first (and maybe only) museum studies program housed in a school of library and information science (in the US). As such, we take a more holistic approach to the subject, as opposed to those programs that are housed in, say, an art department or history department.

As you know, museums, like libraries, are in the information business. In our courses, students gain an understanding of museums in context as dynamic, interactive information systems composed of people, objects, and activities.

What distinguishes the SLIS approach is that the museum is at the center of study, not disciplinary content.  Because the SLIS courses are structured within a library and information science framework, students are able to cut across the spectrum of traditional academic disciplines, which strengthens the skills of future museum professional by giving them a broader perspective, a larger knowledge base, and more flexibility.

Given your interest in “manuscripts, books, and paper; interpreting, preserving, and archiving them,” it sounds like this approach might be just what you’re looking for. You can also take courses in archives and digital preservation, for example, to round out your education. (Actually, I am also a student in this program, with very much the same interests as you!)

You can find out more about our program here: http://www.kent.edu/slis/programs/mlis/museum-studies.cfm.

It’s also worth mentioning that our tuition is very affordable, and YOU CAN GET THE DEGREE ENTIRELY ONLINE!

I hope this is helpful. If you have any questions, please feel welcome to contact me or Dr. Kiersten F. Latham ([log in to unmask]), who heads up the museum studies specialization.

YOUR MESSAGE: