There are all kinds of issues in this - not the least of all being that a legal donation and transfer of property "Gift" was done and reversing that may have both legal and ethical ramifications. And after six years now the donor wants to reverse the decision? That, in my opinion, is opening a Pandora's Box of issues.

The first thing that comes to mind is whether that donor declared the gift for tax purposes with the IRS - because how can your museum now be an instrument, with pressure from the donor, to reverse that? There are legal reasons why museums cannot assign value for "Gifts" and I am sure that there well may be liability via the IRS for reversing a "Gift" that someone has gotten tax deductions for. The second thing is to change the legal status of the "Gift" back to the donor will involve lawyers as well as having ethical ramifications with your collections management policy. Then there is the issue of board members intervening in a professional collections management issue. You have to live by your current policy and not allow "special cases" from board politics to circumvent that - especially if you are accredited by the AAM or aspire to be.

Cheers,
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant