The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago has a very famous dollhouse - perhaps they could be of assistance.

________________________________
From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Janean Mollet-Van Beckum
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Moving Dollhouse Furniture

Hello Listers,

I am looking for suggestions.  Our museum is receiving a transfer from an art museum across the street.  It consist of a very large dollhouse with over 1200 furnishings.  I need to find a way to transport the furnishings, inexpensively, and store them for about 2 months until an exhibit space is ready for them.  The transportation will consist of driving around the block, so we don't need anything too heavy duty and it doesn't have to be archival.

We can't afford archival materials for the project and I wouldn't have the storage space to store the supplies once the house is up anyway.  I don't want to have to spend a great deal of money on other supplies I won't be able to use or will have to throw out because of lack of storage space.  I am considering using banker boxes with homemade tray inserts which are then padded with polyester batting.  The boxes would be reused by our administration, the inserts would get tossed and the batting could be stored until I need it to pad out hangers etc.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of relatively low cost and fast solutions?

Janean Mollet-Van Beckum

Curator of Collections and Exhibits
Washington County Historical Society
320 S 5th Avenue