Dear Beth,

I agree with Candace.

Notwithstanding that conventions may differ between countries, I think you will find the internationally accepted convention to be as follows:

  1. By definition a loan (in) should not be allocated an accession number, since it is not owned. However, it should be given a unique Loan Number.
  2. The Owned and Loans referencing systems should ALWAYS be kept separate.
  3. If a lender decides to donate or sell a loaned object to a museum and the museum agrees to accession it as a result, then the object should be taken off the loans section of the CM database and then accessioned in the normal way.
  4. Objects should NEVER appear in the CM recording system as both owned and loaned at the same time.
  5. Loans out remain accessioned objects, however the object record should be marked in such a way as to show the essential information e.g. date of loan, who to, how long for.

 Kind Regards,

Jerry Symonds

Snr. Internal Auditor

Historic Royal Palaces