From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nina Simon
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] exhibiting illegally-obtained dirt?

Thank you to everyone for the thoughtful comments on this. It's clear that there are several issues to consider and I really appreciate those who have pointed us in some clear directions on this.

With regard to the questions about the goal of the exhibition and why we'd want to show the dirt, here's the story:

Santa Cruz Collects is an exhibition that explores the following big idea: the things we collect say a lot about who we are as individuals and as a community.

We're including collectors of all kinds - one of the top collectors of American flags, a university special collection, a woman who collects dryer lint, a man whose entire collection was burned, etc. The story is really focused on the WHY of collecting as well as the unique ways that people and institutions acquire, manage, display, and dispose of their collections. We're linking this both to pop culture (hoarding) and to the basic question of why and how museums do the work they do.

In this context, the dirt collection is fascinating. The collector has a great story about why she feels compelled to collect this dirt as mementos of her work around the world, and of course, the legal issue is part of what makes it interesting. To many visitors, the idea that dirt could be illegal is bizarre--but allows them to grapple with deeper questions about why certain collections should or should not be acquired or displayed. The questions that David and others have brought up are exactly the kinds of questions we would want to explore with visitors.

We may not show it--frankly, your responses are pushing us towards not doing so. But I do think it tells an interesting and useful story in the context of what we are trying to do.

Thank you for your feedback,

Nina