This one is for the museum lawyers and collection management gurus out there.

For an upcoming temporary exhibition on collections, we would like to show a collection of vials of dirt that a local naturalist collected on her travels around the world. The challenge is that much of this dirt was transferred into the US illegally (i.e. from countries where they are strict about making sure that organic material doesn't enter or leave the country) or was obtained with some trespassing (i.e. from celebrities' yards). She is nervous about exhibiting the dirt in public for this reason.

My sense is that if we can call this art, it might not be a problem. Frankly, I don't think it's a big problem period - there's no real risk or danger to the dirt - but I want to learn more about how to address this issue. Do you know anyone who might have some expertise to bear in this arena?

Thank you,

Nina

Nina Simon
Executive Director
Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History
831.429.1964 x7018

Come visit us at 705 Front Street in Santa Cruz
Get involved at www.santacruzmah.org or on Facebook