Hi, Candace,
hm, I mean you can not prohibit terrible pictures (see, f.e. a lot of Youtube stuff). As long as terrible pictures refer to a private person as photographer, everybody would blame this particular person and/or publisher. If the copyright reference says "Museum xyz" and these are not the pictures by this museum, I think, the museum could sue the author or publisher for damaging your image.
Best

Christian