The group "New techniques for Ancient Materials" is a newly established professorship led by Prof. Claire Gervais (from March 2012) funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF) and based at the Bern University of the Arts (Hochschule der Kunste, Bern), in collaboration with the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry of the University of Bern. The group is dedicated to the study of physico-chemical processes in ancient materials and cultural heritage objects, by means of synchrotron and simulation techniques.

The Bern University of Arts (BUA) unites a multitude of artistic disciplines while developing interdisciplinary perspectives in teaching and research. It offers regular BA and MA courses and further education diplomas in art, design, conservation and restoration as well as music, opera, theatre and literature.

We are seeking a Ph.D. student to join our team and study the role of the substrate in light- and anoxia-induced fading of Prussian blue artefacts by means of synchrotron techniques.

For more information, please go to: http://www.gervaislab.ch/Data/PhDPosition_1.pdf