Ella, Beloit started accepting women in the fall of 1895. I'd like to think that's a result of the museum, but I suppose not. And although we accepted women we did not, of course, accept them fully. The museum took an archaeological field school to Algeria in 1930 and refused to take female students to avoid any situations of "puppy love" in the tent camp (I kid you not). Later in the '30s women were allowed to participate in domestic digs in the Dakotas and Southwest, although I suspect they were not allowed to actually get dirty :-(

Dan

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Rusty Baker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
"Of its kind" are probably the key words.

Philadelphia's Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art has been a school and museum since 1805, but this case may be a different animal.  It will be hard to get a definitive answer, but like the Beach Boys said, "Be true to your school."

Rusty Baker
PA Museums

--- On Tue, 4/24/12, Dan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Dan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Oldest Museum Studies Program in the Country?
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 4:21 PM

So has UI had an actual museum studies PROGRAM or has it had a teaching museum for 100 years. 'Cuz Beloit's only had a PROGRAM since the early '80s but we've had a teaching museum (integral to student learning at beloit and predating the anthropology department by decades) since 1894. What's that, like 118years?

Just sayin'

;-)

Dan