My museum has a category of accessioned items that allows for functional use. This category is primarily furniture which was originally created for the Museum in 1917. The policy for use though is that they can't be displayed/used in private offices. They must be used in the galleries, public offices (like the director's) or public areas (like the lobby). Once the object starts becoming too worn from use or in danger from some other factor then they are 'retired' to non-functional status. Tables used to serve food or drink must be covered in some type of plastic barrier (plexi, plastic table cloth, etc.).

We recently had a volunteer research the furniture and then create an audio guide focusing on her findings. A different take on your institution - the building and its furnishings as artifacts.

-Michelle

Michelle Gallagher Roberts
Chief Registrar
New Mexico Museum of Art